Saturday, March 22, 2008

First Garden Adventure

Today was forecasted to be the only nice day of the weekend, and boy, was it nice! After helping my sister move, Rich came home and we went to work in the garden, cutting off the old growth from the raspberry bushes. The previous owner did a magnificent job taking care of this place, especially considering he lived in another state for the last 2 years, but the garden is in need of a little bit of work before we can start planting.
The boys, ready to get dirty
Clipping
Along for the ride
"Green is Growing"
What's left (you can see the pile of raspberry brambles)
This summer's crop!!

After Rich went to work I ran some errands. When I returned home the boys were both sleeping in their carseats. I decided to take advantage of the baby-free moment and do some weeding and trimming in the front yard, where it is more difficult to work without them running into the street (to go visit Leah and Mayan-dore).

Stan had told me that the ferns should be cut back now, to make way for the new growth and to expose the beautiful trilliums for their spring appearance. It took me 2 weeks to get to it, and I'm really glad I did it today because they are already blossoming. I wouldn't want to miss any of their beauty!
The ferns were still very gorgeous
It's a shame to have to look at them like this for awhile
But this is what I uncovered
Breathtaking
Kiran woke up, halfway into the 2nd fern, so I wore him on my back. What a great workout!


I bought these gardening gloves at New Seasons and after wearing them today I really like them. They are cotton with a rubber palm--very comfortable to wear, breathable, and not bulky.
Tomorrow is supposed to be very rainy, and not sure about Monday, but Tuesday we are going to get a load of alpaca manure to put on the garden!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting for you all! I think it is so great that you are making your house your home. :)

LittleYogini said...

Is this your tricky way of making me wonder "why am I living 3000 miles away and not your neighbor so I can have fresh garden grown raspberries in season?"

This is so incredibly exciting! I, like you, have always been a "black thumb" and even have fake plans strategically placed in my place. I have always secretly wished to have gardens of flowers and veggies. My dad used to garden and I have this great picture of us out there in front of his lush green garden.

I am so happy for you. You look so cute out there weeding with Kiran. May your garden be bountiful!

Summer said...

Mmmm, raspberries! I wish I could get the toddler to stay in the sling for 5 minutes, it would make gardening so much easier when not getting him out of the road. LOL

Bill & Savannah said...

So so cool! YOu are living the dream! I can't wait till we are neighbors, tee hee...